What’s the Best Treatment for Your Sagging Neck and Jowls? Randy Wong, MD on 27 Nov 2018
One of the very first signs of aging are the jowls. Jowls can distort your face, making it look of heaviness to drooping, sagging skin and fat which hinders the look of natural balance and beauty of your face.
Read this article from Honolulu Plastic Surgeon Dr. Randy Wong to learn about what causes jowls and the many treatments to relieve yourself of them!
What causes jowl formation?
This is a very common question with a lot of answers. Simply put, there are a number of factors that cause jowl formation ranging from smoking to sun exposure and even using a computer.
Some of the most common causes include:
Age is one of, if not, the most common causes of jowls. Everyone will have to deal with jowls at some point in their life as they age. This is because the natural aging process has an effect on the tissues in the face. These tissues are the skin, fat, and muscles. Furthermore, we will also start to see a lack of collagen and elastin, which are the two proteins that make up the connective tissue in the face.
Gravity pulls on your tissues, and weight is certainly one of the factors that allows gravity to pull on the cheeks to create jowls.
Due to genetics, you may be predisposed to having strong or weak jawline. When it comes to your body shape and size, genetics play a huge role. If your parents had premature jowl formation, you may develop them as well.
What are some options for jowl treatment?
Now that you know what causes jowls, let’s get into treating them. Treating jowls in Honolulu is very easy and simple, however, not all treatments are the same. You should always consult a Plastic Surgeon in Honolulu before deciding on what treatment will work best for you.
For those who are looking for long-lasting results, a mini facelift may be the right choice. A mini facelift has less downtime and is less invasive than a full facelift.
Skin Tightening Treatment
There are various types of skin tightening treatments in Honolulu.
Below is a small list of skin tightening treatments that you can choose from:
- Ultrasound Skin Tightening
- Radiofrequency Treatments
- Laser Skin Tightening Treatment
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Treatment
With today’s new and evolved technology, you can get skin tightening without having to go under the knife. These energy mediated treatments stimulate a heat response in the deep dermis to increase collagen production to thicken skin and increase structural support of the skin.; Their effects may be limited as the inflammatory response normalizes over the next 6 months. Repeated treatments may be considered, but be aware of potential for damaging or thinning the skin if done too frequently.
Dermal Fillers and Botox
Dermal fillers and Botox are both minimally invasive and usually last up to one year or more. Depending on the type of treatment you choose, it may mimic volume to add fullness or it can help chisel your jawline by temporarily freezing the muscles underneath that normally pull the cheeks, jowls and corners of the mouth down.
These dermal injectables include:
- Botox – Botox is a neurotoxin produced from the same bacteria as food poisoning that temporarily paralyzes unwanted expression to smooth out wrinkles.
- Restylane – Restalyne is a chemical with a cellular ground substance from the body itself to add fullness to the lips.
- Juvederm – Like Restalyne, Juvederm uses a substance from the body to drive out the fine lines.
- Boletero – Another filler designed for fine lines, is perhaps the smoothest of the filler, but will last only 3 to 4 months
- Radiesse – a calcium product with longer lasting properties used to “lift” tissues. Also used for volume and implant substitute for other parts of the face.
Everyone is different and the fillers can have negative effects on more than just your face.
Now that you are armed with the knowledge, it’s time to fight the fat and tackle your jowls with one of these facial treatments! Contact Honolulu Plastic Surgery Center for more information by clicking here or calling (808) 725-2114.
Latest posts by Randy Wong, MD (see all)
- Gorgeous Styles Guaranteed to Accentuate Your New Breast Augmentation - February 11, 2019
- Is It Worth Traveling for the Right Plastic Surgeon? - January 24, 2019
- Should I Finish Having Kids Before Getting a Mommy Makeover? - December 11, 2018