Tips for Speeding up Your Liposuction Recovery Randy Wong, MD on 02 Jun 2017
Whether you’re having liposuction, a tummy tuck, or breast augmentation in Honolulu there is going to be some recovery time required. Dr. Wong does his best to provide low pain procedures and to provide you with the knowledge you need to have realistic expectations of your liposuction, but it’s up to you to follow advice and do your best to speed up your recovery. Below are a few key pieces of advice to keep in mind as you try to recover from your surgery quickly and comfortably.
- Watch your diet. Limit salt, which retains water. A low sodium diet will help reduce swelling by limiting water retention. Similarly, reduce the amount of sugar in your diet which can mess up the mineral balance in your body and suppress your immune system. Eat small amounts of food throughout the day to prevent nausea, but also increase your consumption of protein which is needed for wound healing and muscle growth. Include probiotics in your diet because antibiotics you may be taking can kill bacteria in the stomach.
- Rest. You’ll feel fatigued after your liposuction in Honolulu. Listen to your body, you need to rest during recovery, especially in the first few weeks. Don’t rush back to work or to return to your normal daily habits no matter how much you feel inclined to do so. During the first six weeks after surgery avoid strenuous activity and after that slowly ease back into your normal routine.
- Move around. Following a liposuction or tummy tuck in Honolulu you certainly need rest but you also need to occasionally get up and move around to aid circulation. Walking at a slow pace helps the flow of lymph fluid, but don’t walk too fast and elevate your heart rate during the earliest stages of recovery. If you experience any dizziness or nausea while moving, stop immediately.
- Hydrate. Drink low calorie, non-carbonated liquids. Best drinks are water, diluted fruit juice, and flavored water. Avoid Gatorade due to high levels of sodium. Another great way to hydrate is by consuming fruits and vegetables that have a high water content including watermelon, cucumber, strawberries, and celery.
- Stretch. As you begin to recover and have more energy, be sure to stretch. A large exercise ball is great for this and can help break up adhesions. Be sure to rotate in every direction while laying on your sides, back, and stomach.
Prior to your liposuction procedure Dr. Wong and his staff will help explain to you the best ways to recover from your surgery. If you have any further questions about liposuction or breast augmentation in Honolulu, call Honolulu Plastic Surgery Center at (808)725-2114.
Latest posts by Randy Wong, MD (see all)
- What You Should Discuss with Honolulu Plastic Surgeons before Breast Augmentation - June 8, 2018
- More Than a Mommy Makeover in Honolulu – Cosmetic Surgery is Increasingly Popular among Men - December 7, 2017
- Can Liposuction in Honolulu and Other Cosmetic Procedures be Helpful in the Workplace? - August 4, 2017