10 Things I Wish I Knew before My Mommy Makeover Randy Wong, MD on 17 Jul 2018
Mommy makeovers are a popular request among Honolulu plastic surgeons like Dr. Randy Wong, but it is important for anyone considering cosmetic procedures to have all of the information necessary before having the work done. Knowing this, the team at Honolulu Plastic Surgery has collected a list of the top ten things women wish they would have known before their mommy makeover.
- How to talk to the kids about the procedure. It is not always easy to explain why you are going to the doctor and why you will need time to recover. Depending on the age of the children, some women tell their children that they are having their tummy fixed on the advice of a doctor. Other women have told their boys simply that they are having “female surgery,” an explanation that usually avoids further questioning.
- Going to the bathroom can be difficult at first. The combination of procedures and medication can make it difficult to have a bowel movement at first, but this will go away.
- Take time to recover. Any form of plastic surgery in Honolulu will require significant downtime. This means enlisting help to assist in daily chores as well as taking care of the kids and time off of work.
- Some people experience “phantom itch.” After a tummy tuck your stomach will be numb for some time, however it is not uncommon for patients to experience an itchy sensation where the stomach is numb.
- Mood swings are common during recovery. Your body has been through a lot and you are taking pain meds. This can lead to drastic changes in mood as you heal.
- Research the procedures you are having. Talking to your surgeon and exploring blogs and reference sites is a great way to understand exactly what to expect and how best to plan your recovery.
- You still need to eat healthy and exercise regularly after you recover. A mommy makeover can help you get your pre-pregnancy body back, but it is not meant as an alternative to a healthy lifestyle, especially if you want the results to last.
- Put yourself first, for a change. Mom’s are guilty of regularly thinking about their family first, but now is a time for you to be pampered. Do not be afraid to allow people to help, and do not feel guilty about the time you need to devote to a healthy recovery.
- Breast implants appear larger right after the procedure. Many women who have breast augmentation in Honolulu are shocked at how large their implants are at first. However, there is some initial swelling after the procedure and it takes a little bit of time for the implants to drop into their normal place.
- Ignore negative people. Some people have strong opinions about cosmetic procedures and are very willing to share them. Do not allow people to get you down by talking about the money you spent or criticizing your motives. Simply ask them to keep their negative comments to themselves if this does happen.
These are a few simple pieces of information to keep in mind before your mommy makeover. Of course, the best thing to do is to have an open and honest conversation with your doctor and get all of the information and advice possible. For more information on mommy makeovers, do not hesitate to reach out to Dr. Wong and the people at Honolulu Plastic Surgery. Our friendly staff will happily answer any questions or schedule a consultation. Call (808) 725-2114 today.
Latest posts by Randy Wong, MD (see all)
- Should I Finish Having Kids Before Getting a Mommy Makeover? - December 11, 2018
- What’s the Best Treatment for Your Sagging Neck and Jowls? - November 27, 2018
- Tips on how to convince your spouse you need plastic surgery - October 9, 2018